Happy Friday, Discovery! This week, we were riding the tidal wave from Shark Week 2014 and celebrating some exciting Duggar baby news. Check out some of this week’s happenings below and ease your way into the weekend with Lil BUB’s Summertime Yule Log video below, featuring BUB herself lounging on a beach and soaking up those last drops of summer.
It’s August, and that mean’s SXSW PanelPicker is again upon us! The SXSW Interactive Festival, held annually in Austin, brings together leaders in technology and digital creativity to showcase the best technologies of today and what’s to come tomorrow and Music explores the future of the music industry, while SXSWedu brings together leaders from the education landscape to collaborate, create and change how we teach and learn.
This year, we’ve proposed some exciting panels and we would love your support in bringing some of these ideas to Austin! If you don’t already have one, create a PanelPicker account here and give the ‘thumbs up’ to the below ideas to help them be selected for SXSW Interactive, Music and SXSWedu next March.
- Did TV Kill The Internet Star?
- Expanding Your Associative Net with Jason Silva
- How Fast ‘N Loud Fuels Its Superfans
- Wonder Women of Web Video
- Too Much Data! Bringing Meaning to Self Tracking
- Nerd Alert: Making Science Fun and Cool
- How To Make Crime Pay Online
- Beyond Gamification: Motivating with Milestones
- The Myth of Reducing Friction in Your Product
- If Pixar’s Edna Mode Taught Us UX Design…
Here at Discovery, we’re getting ready to kick off everyone’s favorite summer celebration, Shark Week, beginning this Sunday at 8pm ET/PT. Chompie Jr. is also gearing up to welcome back the King of Summer. In celebration of all things Shark Week, Chompie Jr. will be making the rounds tomorrow in the DC area, surprising locals and tourists alike with his toothy grin.
Follow the hashtag #ChompieAttack to keep tabs on Chompie Jr.’s whereabouts, and don’t forget to post using the #ChompieAttack hashtag if you happen to encounter this aquatic creature in the Nation’s Capital tomorrow. Get your photo taken with Chompie Jr. and you might win some free Shark Week swag so that you can kick off everyone’s favorite week in style. Keep your eyes peeled, D.C. – Chompie Jr.’s on the loose!
Happy Friday! It’s been a busy week here at Discovery, as we reported second quarter results and continue to count down to everyone’s favorite summer event, Shark Week. Check out some of the comings and goings of this past week and check out Rob Lowe absolutely owning the title of #KingOfSummer below.
Every day the ring of the final school bell at 3:00pm leaves 15 million kids in America with nowhere to go. Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) wants to draw attention to critical issues facing America’s youth and the increased risk that comes with being unsupervised and unguided after school hours.
In an effort to reverse negative trends such as obesity, drug use, and violence exacerbated by unstructured out-of-school time, today BGCA launched their Great Futures Campaign. As a partner on this initiative, Discovery will join BGCA on their mission to mobilize the country to empower America’s youth by raising awareness about the importance of after school resources and programs.
Here are some fast statistics from the campaign:
- 15 million school-age children are home without adult supervision after school.
- 3 out of 10 kids are obese or overweight.
- 1 in 5 kids won’t graduate on time.
- 1 in 5 young people lives in poverty.
But with the influence of BGCA:
- 57% of alumni say the Club “saved my life.”
- 97% of Club teens expect to graduate from high school.
- 71% of Club teens volunteer at least once a year.
- 80% say the Club had a positive impact on their health & fitness.
Through the campaign, BGCA hopes to develop new programming and increase their reach to help more youth stay on track and improve their trajectory for a healthy, productive and happy lifestyle. You can check out the campaign video below and get involved at GreatFutures.org.