Discovery Networks CEEMEA (Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa) was established in 1996. Today, ten networks brands reach 260 million cumulative subscribers across 105 countries and territories. Managed by Kasia Kieli, President and Managing Director, the office is headquartered in Warsaw, Poland. Regional offices are located in Bucharest, Budapest, Cairo, Dubai, Istanbul, Kiev, London, Moscow, Prague and Sofia.
Discovery Networks CEEMEA continues to win awards for its great work in Q4 2013.
- In Poland, Discovery Channel was named TV Superbrand for the 8th year.
- In Russia, Discovery was voted “Dream place to work in Russian Pay TV” by mediajobs.ru. Discovery also scored three National Multi-Channel Digital TV Awards “Big Digit” in the categories of Best Documentary and Education TV Channel – Discovery Channel; Best Lifestyle TV Channel – TLC; Best TV Channel Dedicated to Animals – Animal Planet.
Recent and upcoming network launches across CEEMEA include:
- Science HD launched in Turkey in December
- Brand new channel ID Xtra will be available across CEEMEA from April 1, 2014.
Discovery Channel’s first docu-factual scripted series, KLONDIKE—the amazing story of the gold rush from executive producer Ridley Scott—is set to premiere across all regions from February 2014.
In November, Discovery Networks CEEMEA hosted the annual South African Upfront event, a star-studded event in Johannesburg. Talent in attendance included: MANHUNT’s Joel Lambert; DEADLY ISLANDS’ (wt) Dave Salmoni; SAY YES THE DRESS’ Randy Fenoli; MAN, CHEETAH, WILD’s Kim Wolhuter and BREAKING MAGIC’s Ben Hanlin.
Discovery Networks CEEMEA’s portfolio enjoyed a strong performance in late 2013:
- In Poland, Discovery Channel and TLCfuelled a strong showing for Discovery Networks’ portfolio’s share in late December. Discovery Channel and TLC grew shares by +25% and +11% (YOY, within commercial target), respectively, with overall share exceeding 2.5% among A16-49 (+14% vs. 2012; +20% vs. 2010.)
- In Romania, total share experienced a +26% year-on-year uplift during the holidays, driven by Discovery Channel (+37%) and TLC (+28%) as well.
- In Bulgaria, double share year-on-year increase in late December was observed for Discovery portfolio was driven by Discovery Channel and TLC.
- In South Africa, TLC Entertainment—which launched a dedicated feed in October 2013— maintained its share above the 1% mark with the commercial audience for the period, increasing the levels by +9%.
Distributed Media Brands include:
- Discovery Channel
- Animal Planet/Animal Planet HD
- Discovery World
- Discovery Science
- ID: Investigation Discovery
- Discovery Travel & Living
- Discovery HD Showcase
- Discovery Historia