Discovery Networks Western Europe launched in 1989 as Discovery's first international network. Today, 24 network brands reach 435 million cumulative subscribers across 22 countries and territories. Managed by Dee Forbes, President and Managing Director, the offices are headquartered in London. Regional offices are located in Amsterdam, Bristol, Madrid, Milan, Munich, and Rome.
In 1Q 2014, the audience for Discovery’s portfolio of 24 TV channels in Western Europe grew by 8% year over year. The portfolio reached 145 million unique viewers in every month during this period.
Discovery Channel continues to lead factual entertainment across the region:
- It is the number one factual channel in Italy, France and in the UK where it has been awarded Factual Channel of the Year at the Broadcast Digital Awards for the second year running.
- It is the number one international channel for men in Netherlands and Flanders.
- Discovery Networks Italy is the third-largest broadcaster in Italy with a 5.3% market share (Ind. 4+).
- DMAX and Focus grew by 12% and 70% year over year respectively in 1Q 2014.
In Spain, Discovery MAX achieved a 1.7% share (Ind. 4+) for 1Q 2014, enjoying a +10% year over year uplift.
In Germany, DMAX grew by 18% year over year for 1Q 2014 and achieved a March share of 1.7% (A14-49). TLC Germany launched on April 10, 2014 and became the fourth DNI channel to operate in the German language region.
The UK portfolio reached a 2.1% share in the first quarter of 2014, up 17% year over year—its highest first-quarter share ever.
- 1Q 2014 was the second-strongest performance for Discovery Channel in five years (after 2013).
- TLC has reached over 27 million people (47% of the population) in its first year since launch.
- Quest achieved its second-best result ever in March and posted a 21% growth rate for 1Q 2014.
In Benelux, Discovery’s portfolio achieved a 1Q 2014 6.3% market share among adults, up 13% year on year.
- Discovery Channel had its best March result in five years with a 4.1% market share.
- TLC had its best March ever, achieving a 3.8% market share.
Distributed Media Brands Include:
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Real Time
- Giallo (Italy)
- Frisbee (Italy)
- Focus (Italy)
- K2 (Italy)
- Discovery Science
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Max
- ID: Investigation Discovery
- Discovery Home & Health
- Discovery Shed
- Discovery Turbo
- Discovery History
- GXT (Italy)
- Discovery Travel & Living
- Discovery World
- Discovery HD Showcase
- Animal Planet HD
- Seratissima (Italy)
- Discovery Civilization