Discovery Networks Western Europe launched in 1989 as Discovery's first international network. Today, 24 network brands reach 436 million subscribers across 22 countries and territories. Managed by Dee Forbes, President and Managing Director, the offices are headquartered in London. Regional offices are located in Amsterdam, Bristol, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Paris and Rome.
In 2013, the audience for Discovery’s portfolio of 24 TV channels in Western Europe grew by 48% (A20-49), with flagship Discovery Channel pulling in 8% growth year-on-year.
Discovery Channel continues to lead factual entertainment across the region:
- It is the number one factual channel in Italy, France and in the UK where it has been awarded Factual Channel of the Year at the Broadcast Digital Awards for the second year running.
- It is the number one international channel for men in Netherlands and Flanders.
- Discovery Networks Italy is the third largest broadcaster in Italy with a 7.4% market share (A20-49).
- Real Time’s BAKE OFF ITALIA became the most-watched show ever on the channel with 2.8 million cumulative viewers tuning into the finale, a share of 5.6%. On Twitter, the #bakeoffitalia hashtag became the second most trending topic in the market, with 7,800 tweets commanding a reach of 30.4 million followers.
In Spain, Discovery MAX in Spain achieved its biggest-ever audience with “Magic Day” in November, achieving a 2.7% share and consolidating the channel’s year-on-year growth of 30%.
In Germany, DMAX has grown by 33% year on year. The channel’s digital following continues to expand with over 1.3 million Facebook fans, one of Discovery Networks International’s largest channel followings on social media.
The UK portfolio reached a 2% share, +19% vs. 2012 and the fastest growth in 10 years.
- Investigation Discovery saw triple digit growth in 2013.
- Quest, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel all achieved double digit growth.
- Since launching in April, TLC is now a top 10 entertainment channel amongst pay-TV women
In Benelux, Discovery’s portfolio achieved a 6.4% market share among adults. Audiences grew by 60% year-on-year driven by triple digit growth from ID (+214%) and TLC (+191%), following the extension of its broadcast hours.
Distributed Media Brands include:
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Real Time
- Giallo (Italy)
- Frisbee (Italy)
- Focus (Italy)
- K2 (Italy)
- Discovery Science
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Max
- ID: Investigation Discovery
- Discovery Home & Health
- Discovery Shed
- Discovery Turbo
- Discovery History
- GXT (Italy)
- Discovery Travel & Living
- Discovery World
- Discovery HD Showcase
- Animal Planet HD
- Seratissima (Italy)
- Discovery Civilization