Discovery Networks Western Europe launched in 1989 as Discovery's first international network. Today, 24 network brands reach 435 million subscribers across 22 countries and territories. Managed by Dee Forbes, President and Managing Director, the offices are headquartered in London. Regional offices are located in Amsterdam, Bristol, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Paris and Rome.
Every month, 134 million individuals across Western Europe watch something on a Discovery channel (whole portfolio, including free-to-air).
Discovery Channel continues to lead factual entertainment across the region:
- It is the number one factual channel in Italy, France and in the UK where it has been awarded Factual Channel of the Year at the Broadcast Digital Awards for the second year running.
- It is the number one international channel for men in Netherlands and Flanders.
Female flagship channels continue to see success across Western Europe:
- Over 22m people have sampled TLC since its launch in the UK on 30th April. The channel now ranks #9 amongst pay-TV entertainment channels for women.
- Investigation Discovery is the number one factual channel amongst pay-TV women in the UK having seen triple digit growth YoY
- Real Time is the sixth biggest channel in Italy (W20-49)
- TLC Netherlands has a share of 4.8% (W20-49)
Discovery Networks Italy is the third largest broadcaster in Italy with a 7.6% market share (A20-49), following the acquisition of Switchover Media at the beginning of the year.
Distributed Media Brands include:
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Real Time
- Giallo (Italy)
- Frisbee (Italy)
- Focus (Italy)
- K2 (Italy)
- Discovery Science
- Animal Planet
- Discovery Max
- ID: Investigation Discovery
- Discovery Home & Health
- Discovery Shed
- Discovery Turbo
- Discovery History
- GXT (Italy)
- Discovery Travel & Living
- Discovery World
- Discovery HD Showcase
- Animal Planet HD
- Seratissima (Italy)
- Discovery Civilization