On Sunday, June 23, daredevil Nik Wallenda will be walking a tightrope across the Grand Canyon – 1,500 feet above ground, live and untethered. As someone with a severe fear of heights, even thinking about this feat gives me some serious sweaty palms. The event, Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda, will be one you wont want to miss, with every step broadcast live to a global audience on Discovery Channel, starting at 8pm ET/5pm PT on Sunday. Before and during the event, Discovery is serving up plenty of ways fans can dig deeper into Nik Wallenda’s hair-raising walk online, including:
- Take the Walk: Prior to the live event, visitors to SkywireLive.com can take the walk themselves in an interactive 360-degree experience using their mouse or by moving their tablet or smartphone to place themselves on the wire at three points.
- Wired In Multiplatform Experience: The companion digital experience will feature five live camera angles, enabling users to toggle between breathtaking views before and during the walk.
- Wired In with Chris Jacobs: Host Chris Jacobs will provide a behind-the-scenes perspective from the walk site through a sixth camera, welcoming special guests and breaking down the global social media conversation about Wallenda’s feat.
- Live, On-Air Social Media Integration: Throughout the evening, armchair adventurers are invited to share their support and reactions using the#Skywire hashtag and Discovery Channel (@Discovery) will be curating and featuring live Tweets on air beginning at 5pm ET, leading up to the 8pm ET world event and through the evening.
- #AweYeah: In partnership with AOL, fans have been invited to share their perspective on the awe-inspiring – from the natural beauty of our world to life’s moments that leave you in amazement. Discovery Channel and AOL have collected #AweYeah moments that are featured in an AOL gallery. Each verified winner will receive one of several prizes, which include signed memorabilia from Nik Wallenda (official rules).