Despite the sweltering D.C. heat trying to tell me otherwise, I always know that it’s not truly summer until my favorite holiday is upon us — Shark Week! It’s hard to believe that this Sunday will be my third Shark Week since I have been working at Discovery. It seems like just yesterday I was meeting Chompie Jr. for the first time and enjoying all the toothy Shark Week fun around the office (see photo)…memories!
With all the fun to be had during Shark Week, we are spreading the love online, this time with even more ways to enjoy the most jawsome week of the year. This year, we’re celebrating fans with the return of our live, on-air Twitter Frenzy. After an unprecedented 10 hours of Twitter-infused programming featuring live fan Tweets in 2012, we are doubling the #SharkWeek love, featuring fans’ fin-tastic Tweets in real time on TV from 8pm to 12am ET for five nights beginning on Sunday, August 4.
Other ways to enjoy this fin-tastic celebration online include:
- Shark Cam: Swim with the sharks from the safety of your own cubicle and check out the National Aquarium’s new Blacktip Reef exhibit in Baltimore. Fin fans can get 24-7 access to the underwater world of dozens of sharks and one 500+ pound sea turtle, Calypso. Available at SharkWeek.com/SharkCam, Aquarium experts will host informative online chats during Shark Week.
- Shark Week Plus: Want more sharks? Download the Discovery Channel HD App for iPad and add the Shark Week Plus simultaenous viewing app for audio-synched extras, featuring behind-the-scenes factoids, photos, quizzes, social conversation and more.
- Ultimate Sharks App for iPad: Swim with the sharks through interactives, HD videos and high-resolution photography with the Ultimate Sharks Free app for iPad available on iTunes.
- Great White Triangle: Follow underwater cameraman Andy Casagrande in this special webisode as he tests out the Pelagic Explorer, a state-of-the-art mobile shark cage that allows divers to swim safely among great whites and learn more about the often misunderstood creatures.
- Subaquatic Road Trip: In addition to diving into Shark Cam, viewers can take a virtual dive with a 360-degree view of Luke Tipple’s underwater journey in the all-new VW Beetle Shark Cage.
- Shark Finder: Want to know where your finned friends are? Discovery’s worldwide interactive map at SharkWeek.com allows visitors to track 20 sharks across three different species in real time and learn more about their life in the big blue.
- Shark Week GetGlue Stickers: Check into Shark Week on Get Glue all week long to earn custom stickers and show your Shark Week pride!
Happy Shark Week!