Several dozen Discovery Communications team members are in Beverly Hills this week for the semi-annual Television Critics Association press tour. Held in January and July each year, the event provides cable, broadcast and digital networks the opportunity to share with press in attendance some of the most exciting upcoming programming news.
Folks from American Heroes Channel, Discovery Family, Investigation Discovery, Velocity, Science Channel and Discovery gathered at the Beverly Hilton Hotel yesterday to host their panels. Here’s what each network announced:
American Heroes Channel
- We know the names – Rockefeller, Carnegie, Edison, Tesla – but how well do we know the people behind them? American Titans explores the stories of the people who have shaped civilization as we know it today – from the Industrial Revolution to the Gilded Age. The series premieres Tuesday, August 4 at 10/9c.
- In One Giant Leap, viewers can relive the remarkable story of our nation’s landmark mission that inspired America during a time when violence and turmoil ruled the news. The special premieres Wednesday, August 5 at 10/9c.
- Manhunt: Kill or Capture will take viewers through the most memorable manhunts, task force shutdowns and undercover infiltrations of infamous masterminds in the history of American law enforcement. The ten-part series premieres Wednesday, August 12 at 10/9c.
- Premiering in more than 220 countries and territories this fall across Discovery Networks International’s factual channels, Castro: The World’s Most Watched Man (wt) is a one-hour documentary that takes an in-depth look at the life of Fidel Castro through the eyes of the spies who have observed him for over a half-century.
- How pawsome! August is Pawgust for the network, a month-long showcase of animal themed series, specials and movies hosted by the lovely Betty White.
- In From Wags to Riches with Bill Berloni, theatrical animal trainer Bill Berloni expertly transforms shelter dogs into stars – from starring in Broadway’s Annie and Legally Blonde to the big and small screen. The series will debut in August.
- Lost and Found (wt) will follow Mike Schario and Jesse Brown, two professional “finders” who help people reconnect with items and individuals who have positively impacted them in some way. The series will premiere in November.
- Fan-favorite programs Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda (premiering Tuesday, August 18 at 10/9c), Deadly Women (premiering Friday, August 7 at 10/9c), Nowhere to Hide (premiering Thursday, August 20 at 10/9c) and On The Case With Paula Zahn (premiering Sunday, August 30 at 10/9c) return to the network next month.
- Emmy-winning Investigative correspondent Chris Hansen hosts an all-new newsmagazine with Killer Instinct with Chris Hansen, digging deep into the depths of a killer’s mind and bringing life to some of America’s most chilling and heart-wrenching homicides. The series premieres Monday, August 17 at 10/9c.
- Death By Gossip With Wendy Williams features original “gossip girl” Wendy Williams, who serves as host and executive producer. The series uncovers crimes fueled by rumors and sordid half-truths that lead to betrayal and even murder. The series premiers Friday, October 9 at 10/9c.
- Award-winning director Joel Schumacher executive produces Do Not Distrurb: Hotel Horrors, a series that gives viewers a peek behind closed doors to shocking crimes that happened inside hotels. The series premieres Wednesday, October 21 at 9/8c.
- In Barbara Walters Presents American Scandals, Barbara Walters will take viewers behind the scenes, revealing her personal thoughts and insights for the first time ever and conducting new and exclusive interviews with key players. The series debuts Monday, November 2 at 10/9c.
- Behind Closed Doors: Shocking Secrets will premiere in October, followed by And Justice for All (wt), slated for an early 2016 debut. The special and limited series, respectively, will feature the reporting of Emmy-winning journalist, documentary filmmaker and Al Jazeera America anchor Tony Harris.
- The networks hit series Bitchin’ Rides is back for its sophomore season, premiering Tuesday, September 29 at 9/8c. From his sprawling 27,000 square foot custom fabrication shop, Dave Kindig of Kindig It Design works tirelessly (get it? TIRElessly?) with his team to create extraordinary works of art for car lovers nationwide.
- Astronauts spend years preparing for life in space – but what happens when something goes terribly wrong? Secret Space Escapes reveals terrifying accidents, fights for survival and stories of close calls and near misses – told by the astronauts who survived them. The series premieres Tuesday, November 10 at 10/9c.
- The groundbreaking documentary, Racing Extinction, will premiere to a global audience on Wednesday, December 2 at 9/8c. This is the first time the network is broadcasting a program around the world on a single day – and with carriage in 220 countries and territories, it’s sure to impact millions.
It was also announced at the event that Destination America will be airing the first-ever live, televised exorcism on October 30. You can read more about it here.
Stay tuned for more updates as all the exciting specials and series mentioned above roll out!