On Wednesday, November 18, Discovery Networks CEEMEA (Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East) hosted an exclusive upfront presentation in Johannesburg, sharing with over 200 guests in attendance new and returning series fans around the region can look forward to watching in 2016. Both Discovery and DStv executives were on-site to host the event, with performances by Whitney Thore (My Big Fat Fabulous Life), Andi Rive (The Lion Queen) and magician Troy (Troy) adding star power to the night’s festivities.
Here’s a quick recap of what each network had to share:
The flagship network shared with attendees several new programs coming in 2016, including:
- Sherpa, a ground-breaking documentary (which has already garnered some rave reviews) that details how Mount Everest’s Sherpa community united following the deadly avalanche that struck in 2014.
- Telescope, a documentary film that will take audiences behind the making of the greatest telescope yet: NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope. Within this telescope lies the potential power to take us back to the origins of the universe.
- Harley-Davidson, a scripted series that looks at the real-life story of how the now-iconic brand was able to pave its way to become a national symbol in American culture.
Fan-favorites Fast N’ Loud, Gold Rush and Running Wild With Bear Grylls will are also returning.
As South Africa’s #1 lifestyle channel, TLC is set to bring even more heart, laughter and fun with new and returning series, including:
- Tina Malone: My New Body, follows British actress Tina Malone as she attempts to reshape her entire body after a dramatic weight-loss.
- Save My Style, a brand new makeover series where celebrity stylist June Ambrose transforms contestants from social media.
- First Heartbeat, a moving reality series following one couple’s emotional journey to start a family.
- Belief, a ground-breaking television event that explores humankind’s ongoing search to connect with something greater than ourselves.
Other new series Married by Mom and Dad and Love at First Swipe join returning series Sex Sent Me to the ER, Cake Boss and My Big Fat Fabulous Life.
Africa once again takes center stage on the network, with returning series including:
- Man is Wild, a new series that follows one outlandish animal tracker and his brave approach to studying animals in the wild.
- Season two of The Lion Queen, a series that follows South African lion conservationist Andi Rive as she continues her mission to raise awareness about a species that is facing extinction.
Other new series coming to the network in 2016 include Dr Dee: Alaska Vet and Treetop Cat Rescue.
The event also saw the crowning of Discovery’s first African presenter for TLC, as David Mbeha from Namibia was announced the winner of the TLC Next Great Presenter campaign.