— Sixth Season of MAN VS. WILD Begins February 17–
(Silver Spring, Md.) After five seasons of being dropped off in remote locales around the globe, survival expert and extreme adventurer Bear Grylls finds new extreme destinations and faces more challenges, sharing invaluable survival strategies along the way. The sixth season of Discovery Channel’s MAN VS. WILD kicks off on Thursday, February 17 at 9PM ET/PT.
In the six all-new episodes of the hit series, Bear endures the most intense journeys to Arizona, Borneo, Cape Wrath in Scotland, Norway and a deserted island in the South Pacific. In addition to a special compilation episode, which features unseen footage of Bear providing viewers with his ultimate survival guide, the new season presents Bear with obstacles that push him to his limits in the wilderness:
- In Arizona, Bear transforms into a one man high speed glider with a cutting edge wingsuit and flies into the Arizona Sky Islands. Bear shows viewers how to find water in the parched desert landscape, builds a sand-buggy from a wrecked aircraft and crosses heart-stopping rock drops.
- In Borneo, Bear heads directly into the wild jungles. Without a place to land his helicopter, he is forced to rappel into the treetops. As the heli peels away, Bear is 100 feet up in the canopy. After finding his way down to the jungle floor, Bear tackles raging waters, big mudslides and deep caves as he fights his way through this impenetrable place.
- In Scotland off the rugged coast of Cape Wrath, Bear is dropped into open ocean. After getting ashore, he realizes he’s on an island and must swim to the mainland. Bear fashions a wetsuit from a seal’s hide to withstand the frigid crossing. Well into the trek, he is forced to turn back as an incoming estuary tide nearly cuts him off. After he makes it to dry land, Bear has a close call with the steep treacherous Scottish rock terrain.
- In Norway, Bear and his team create the harshest conditions possible combining Mother Nature with the latest technology. In this MAN VS. WILD science special, sensors monitor Bear’s body as he demonstrates how to survive cutting away from a malfunctioning parachute, how to cross a fast flowing river after a dam is released on him and how to endure a lethal trap that Bear sets against himself.
- In the South Pacific, Bear is left into the ocean near a deserted island. He must first fight his way up a steep cliff to get ashore. Once on dry land, his priority is food and water. In addition to knowing ingenious ways to collect and store rainwater, Bear dives deep into the reefs in search of fish and employs a local method using torches to catch octopus at night.
MAN VS. WILD is produced for Discovery Channel by Diverse Productions. Steve Rankin is executive producer for Diverse Productions. Josh Berkley is executive producer for Discovery Channel.
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
MAN VS. WILD Fan Site:
MAN VS. WILD on Facebook:
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.4 million U.S. homes, can be seen in over 180 countries, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s number one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 180 countries. Discovery empowers people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity through 100-plus worldwide networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Investigation Discovery, Planet Green and HD Theater, as well as leading consumer and educational products and services, and a diversified portfolio of digital media services including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.