With Shark Week 2014, Discovery Breaks Records as #1 Primetime network in ALL OF TELEVISION among M18-49 and Discovery Earns Highest-Rated Week Ever in its History Among W18-49
(Silver Spring, MD) The King of Summer reigned with Discovery earning its highest-rated SHARK WEEK ever in its 27-year history across several key demos including Persons and Women 25-54, and Women 18-49 ratings (no exclusions) from Sunday, August 10 to Saturday, August 16. The week drew in over 42 million viewers (P2+ cume). Additionally, SHARK WEEK 2014 was the highest rated week ever in Discovery’s history among Women 18-49, surpassing the record held since 2000.
SHARK WEEK 2014 garnered the network’s highest-rated Sunday-Thursday (1.64 P25-54) and Sunday – Saturday Prime (1.42 P25-54). Television’s longest running, must-see summer event also delivered Sunday as the highest-rated SHARK WEEK night ever for P25-54. These record viewership ratings made Discovery Channel the #1 network in all of television among Men 18-34 and 18-49 delivery last week (no exclusions, 8/10/14 – 8/16/14), besting all broadcast and cable networks.
The return of SHARK WEEK’s late-night talk show, Shark After Dark, beat popular talk shows in most key demos Sunday, August 10 through Thursday, August 14 and was up 3% from last year. Shark After Dark out-delivered every late-night cable talk show competitor including Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report, TBS’ Conan, E!’s Chelsea Lately and The Soup, HBO’s Last Week Tonight.
In addition, SHARK WEEK 2014’s programming earned Discovery the top spot as the #1 primetime network in cable with People and Men 18-49 and 25-54 for a second consecutive week. Numerous SHARK WEEK programs grabbed the #1 spot in either all of cable or ALL OF TELEVISION on their respective nights, including:
- Sunday’s Shark of Darkness: Wrath of Submarine is the #1 cable telecast of 3Q14 among Men 18-49 and 25-54delivery (excluding sports) and was also the #1 telecast in ALL OF TELEVISION on Sunday evening among Persons 18-34 (no exclusions).
- On Monday, Jaws Strikes Back was the #1 non-sports telecast in ALL OF TELEVISION on Monday evening among Men 18-49 delivery.
- Alien Sharks: Return to the Abyss was Tuesday’s #1 program in all of TV among M18-49 and M18-34 (no exclusions).
- Sharkageddon ranked as the #1 cable telecast on Thursday evening among M18-49 delivery and P18-49 (excluding sports).
- Megalodon: New Evidence ranked as the #1 cable telecast on Friday evening among P25-54 and P18-49 delivery (no exclusions); it was also #1 in cable among M25-54 and M18-49 delivery (excluding sports).
SHARK WEEK 2014 also had 6 of the Top 10 ad-supported cable originals among P25-54/M25-54/ P18-49 and 8 of the Top-10 M18-49 ad-supported cable originals.
SHARK WEEK lived up to the #KingOfSummer online, ranking as Discovery Channel’s most social programming event to date. On Facebook, 13 million people had more than 21 million interactions around SHARK WEEK content, a 110% increase from last year’s SHARK WEEK. Ten SHARK WEEK premieres ranked in the Daily Top 5 on Nielsen’s SocialGuide throughout the week and generated 70 primetime Trending Topics on Twitter over 7 days. On SharkWeek.com, video streams were up 16% vs. 2013, while page views saw a 76% increase, marking the strongest year ever online.