– Expanded Brand to Deliver Exhilarating & Meaningful Content Across
Social & Digital Platforms, Including New Seeker Site Launching in May –
– Seeker Virtual Reality to Extend Discovery Communications’ Initiative to End Wildlife Trafficking –
Seeker /ˈsikər/ noun
Someone who loves to learn by observing, experiencing and
exploring our world with a hopeful spirit and restless mind
New York City – Discovery Communications will soon debut an all-new SEEKER – a web-native network with over 250 videos premiering every month and socially driven content appealing to bright, curious millennials who act on their curiosity by experiencing, observing and exploring. SEEKER will live across multiple digital platforms, as well as the new Seeker.com launching in May. The new SEEKER brand will be supported by an impactful marketing campaign, including cross-promotion from its sister linear networks.
“For seekers, success isn’t gauged by a checking off items on a bucket list or climbing the corporate ladder; rather, it is measured by understanding and participating in the world around you…by constantly evolving,” explained Suzanne Kolb, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Discovery Digital Networks.
Through daily episodes of established franchises, insightful web documentaries and live online events, SEEKER will deliver a rich lineup of programming to feed the minds of millennial audiences. With content focused on science, understanding our world and exploration, SEEKER also will feature inspiring voices – from award-winning journalist Laura Ling and homegrown talent Trace Dominguez to Shots of Awe’s Jason Silva and global explorer Louis Cole. SEEKER brings together established online brands, including DNews, TestTube, Seeker Stories, Revision3 and other current series.
New programming coming to SEEKER later this year includes:
- Seeker Sabbatical: What happens when you take a conscious break from your daily life to connect with the world and yourself? In this special series, SEEKER will invite some of the web’s biggest personalities to experience, learn and grow through a once-in-a-lifetime travel experience. The journey begins this summer when YouTuber Laci Green packs her bag and begins a personal pilgrimage along the Camino de Santiago in the Spanish countryside, sharing her experiences with the SEEKER
- Seeker VR: Discovery has led the way in creating a robust slate of virtual reality content, and SEEKER will be deepening its reach through original VR programming. As an extension of Discovery Communications’ ongoing commitment to confronting the wildlife trafficking crisis, SEEKER will debut a series of short-form VR documentaries immersing audiences in the translocation of rhinos in Nepal. More VR content, such as Edge of the Earth 360 – a virtual reality trip via a weather balloon 100,000 feet in the air to the magical intersection where Earth and space meet, will be debuting regularly beginning in May.
- Seeker Docs: Complementing established and soon-to-be introduced series, SEEKER will roll out a slate of short-form docs that feature incredible people leading impactful lives and delve into the big issues of today. From super superintendent Dr. Tiffany Anderson, whose dedication and unconventional approach has transformed one of the worst-performing school systems, to the Black Mambas, an all-female anti-poaching group in South Africa, SEEKER’s web documentaries will inform and inspire.
- Seeker Live: Building on a strong Facebook presence and dozens of successful live streaming events, SEEKER will debut with a week of livestreams in May, with social influencers and thoughtleaders headlining the week. Trace Dominguez and Amy Shira Teitel will deliver live science experiments, Laura Ling will examine engineered food and Donnie Vincent will bring his epic storytelling and survival advice, while Jason Silva will philosophize from one of his favorite outdoor escapes and Discovery News’ Dr. Ian O’Neill will share dispatches from the European Southern Observatory in Chile during the 2016 transit of Mercury.
Over the coming months, SEEKER will introduce new programming, initiatives and partnerships to deepen connections with viewers and empower would-be seekers online and beyond.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the leader in global entertainment reaching 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Discovery satisfies curiosity, entertains and inspires viewers with high-quality content through global brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, and through the Discovery Digital Networks portfolio, including Seeker and SourceFed. Discovery owns Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.