Discovery Communications Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results

(Silver Spring, Md.) Second Quarter 2012 Financial Highlights:

  • Revenues increased 7% to $1,142 million
  • Adjusted OIBDA increased 6% to $543 million
  • Net income increased 15% to $293 million
  • Repurchased 8.5 million shares for an aggregate purchase price of $404 million

Discovery Communications, Inc. (“Discovery” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) today reported financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.

David Zaslav, Discovery’s President and Chief Executive Officer said, “Discovery’s consistent focus on investing in our global platform, building new brands and developing additional growth opportunities resulted in continued strong operating results during the second quarter.   The steps we have taken to broaden our international content offerings, along with the continued evolution of pay-tv globally, are driving international expansion, while domestically we are generating significant returns from the sustained programming initiatives and audience growth across our younger networks.   Our financial momentum and strong balance sheet have enabled us to accelerate the pace of our capital returns as we continue to invest in both new and existing strategic growth initiatives to further build shareholder value.

Second Quarter Results
Second quarter revenues of $1,142 million increased $75 million, or 7%, over the second quarter a year ago, led by 6% growth at U.S. Networks and 10% growth at International Networks.  Adjusted Operating Income Before Depreciation and Amortization (1) (“OIBDA”) grew 6% to $543 million, driven by an 8% increase at U.S. Networks and a 2% increase at International Networks.  Excluding the impact of foreign currency fluctuations, total company revenues increased 10% and Adjusted OIBDA increased 11%.

Second quarter net income available to Discovery Communications, Inc. stockholders of $293 million ($0.76 per diluted share) increased $39 million compared to $254 million ($0.62 per diluted share) for the second quarter a year ago, primarily due to strong operating performance in the current year and lower taxes primarily due to a reorganization of certain operations partially offset by the impact of foreign currency fluctuations.

Free cash flow was $138 million for the second quarter, a decrease of $60 million from the second quarter of 2011, as increased operating performance was more than offset by higher content investment and increased tax payments versus a year ago. For the last twelve months, free cash flow increased 5% over the previous twelve month period.  Free cash flow is defined as cash provided by operating activities less acquisitions of property and equipment.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW FULL PRESS RELEASE IN PDF FORMAT