– Virtual Reality Product Launches Today with Original Content, Show Extensions and a Robust Slate of Upcoming Short-Form Programming Across Platforms –
Silver Spring, Md. – Discovery Communications today debuts DISCOVERY VR, a new brand of experiences combining the immersive power of virtual reality with Discovery’s 30-year history of engaging and exceptional content. Available at DiscoveryVR.com, through the Discovery VR iOS and Android apps, via the Samsung Milk VR premium video service and on network YouTube channels, DISCOVERY VR builds on the company’s tradition of leveraging the power of new technologies to bring us closer to the world and its stories.
“Discovery Communications has long innovated by bringing together emerging technologies with a keen focus on quality content and storytelling, and DISCOVERY VR is a natural and powerful extension of our commitment to aggressively pursuing new horizons,” said Conal Byrne, Senior Vice President of Digital Media, Discovery Communications. “Virtual reality has the power to immerse fans in the action, and we look forward to telling stories in this new space like never before.”
DISCOVERY VR launches with nine original short-form experiences that span subjects from gold mining to surfing and currently features content from Discovery and Science Channel franchises as well as Discovery Digital Networks brands, including:
- MYTHBUSTERS SHARK DIVE: In anticipation of Discovery Channel’s SHWEEKEND, a special weekend of all-new SHARK WEEK programming on August 29 and 30, DISCOVERY VR will feature three VR experiences from the MYTHBUSTERS team in collaboration with 360Heros, exploring underwater shipwrecks and feeding frenzies in the Bahamas.
- PAY DIRT: After five seasons of the hit Discovery Channel series, GOLD RUSH viewers have been immersed in the hardships of gold mining, but DISCOVERY VR will shift things from the life of gold miners to a perspective from a digger that the team uses to mine.
- HOW TO SURVIVE IN THE WILD: SURVIVORMAN’s Les Stroud has braved the wild with little more than his wits, well-honed skills and equipment to document his adventures, and now he’s been outfitted with a VR rig to take viewers through an exclusive off-the-grid trek, imparting survival knowledge at every turn.
- Adventure: From freeboarding down the serpentine Lombard Street in San Francisco to taking a (virtual) surfing lesson with pro-surfer and Discovery Digital Networks’ talent Kyle Thiermann, DISCOVERY VR’s Adventure content leverages the power of this medium to immerse fans in new heart-pounding experiences.
- Planet: Beginning with the towering Redwood Forest and the dazzling Half Moon Bay at sunset, DISCOVERY VR’s Planet section will engage users with our natural home like never before – with journeys to the desert, jungles, mountains and oceans coming soon.
DISCOVERY VR‘s mobile apps and website player technology are powered by LittlStar, and today’s launch represents a sampling of what is to come in the weeks and months ahead. To take the plunge, visit DiscoveryVR.com, download Discovery VR apps for iOS and Android or check out the Discovery VR Channel on Samsung Milk VR.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. For 30 years Discovery has been dedicated to satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global television brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery controls Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.