(Pasadena, Ca.) TLC takes viewers on a journey into the lives of America’s Gypsy and Traveller communities in the all-new series MY BIG FAT AMERICAN GYPSY WEDDING. More than 45 million people tuned in to watch the original UK series when it ran on TLC in 2011, and now the network is revealing the hidden culture and over-the-top weddings that exist in our own backyards. A premiere date has not been set.
There are an estimated one million Gypsies and Travellers throughout the US, but most live in complete secrecy, away from the judgment and discrimination that plague their communities. However, their lifestyles are anything but discrete – they blend traditional values with modern-day influences, resulting in weddings and other celebrations that are large, loud, and lavish. TLC will go inside their homes and attend their parties to share what it’s like to be living as a Gypsy in America.
“TLC loves a great wedding, and no one does it bigger than the Gypsies. The community’s extravagant events are the perfect backdrop to explore their rich history and modern-day lifestyle,” said Amy Winter, GM, TLC. “At the same time, MY BIG FAT AMERICAN GYPSY WEDDING will continue TLC’s tradition of introducing viewers to a group of people they might not otherwise interact with, offering a compelling mix of the remarkable and the relatable.
MY BIG FAT AMERICAN GYPSY WEDDING, which has been in active production across several states including West Virginia, Georgia, and Maryland, will share the lives of several Gypsy and Traveller families. Some of the people featured include:
- 23 year-old Bill is preparing to marry 18 year-old Tamara, who is a non-Gypsy and struggles to become accepted by the local community.
- Nettie and JR married in secret when they were teenagers, and now want to celebrate with their families in a wedding renewal — thrown the traditional, extravagant way.
- At 14, it’s time for Priscilla to start looking for a future husband. Her father plans a big party to bring together the available Gypsy men to see if she can find her true love.
- Chris and Amanda are planning lavish baptism celebrations for four of their children. They must all look their best, and they commission a Swarvoski crystal-crusted pacifier.
- Plans for a family reunion — with a guest list numbering into the hundreds — risks ruin at the hand of rebel Mellie, who refuses to conform to the role expected of her.
TLC has ordered 8 hour-long episodes of MY BIG FAT AMERICAN GYPSY WEDDING. Firecracker Films is producing the series.
TLC is a global brand that celebrates extraordinary people and relatable life moments through innovative nonfiction programming. A top 10 cable network in key female demos, TLC has built successful franchises around the Cake Boss and Say Yes to the Dress brands. In 2011, TLC had 28 series averaging 1.0 million P2+ viewers or more including Sister Wives, My Strange Addiction, Extreme Couponing, Toddlers & Tiaras, NY Ink, 19 Kids and Counting, and What Not To Wear.