Dr. John C. Malone has served as chairman of Liberty Media Corporation since 1990, as chairman of Liberty Expedia Holdings since 2016, as chairman of Liberty Interactive Corporation since 1994, as chairman of Liberty Global, plc since 2005, and as chairman of Liberty Broadband Corp. since 2014.
Prior Professional Experience:
- Chairman and CEO, Discovery Holding Company – 2005 to 2008 (when Discovery Communications became a public company)
- Chairman and CEO, Tele-Communications, Inc. (TCI) – 1996 to 1999 (when it merged with AT&T Corp.)
- President and CEO, Tele-Communications, Inc. (TCI) – 1973 to 1996
- Malone began his career in 1963 at Bell Telephone Laboratories/AT&T in economic planning and research and development.
- Malone joined McKinsey & Company in 1968 and became group vice president at General Instrument Corporation (GI) in 1970. He was later named president of Jerrold Electronics, a GI subsidiary.
- Malone is a member of the Executive Committee.
- Malone currently serves on the boards of Charter Communications, CATO Institute, Expedia, Inc. and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., and in the same or similar capacity for various family businesses, trusts and foundations. He is chairman emeritus of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc., served as director of the National Cable Television Association (NCTA) from 1974 to 1977 and 1980 to 1993 and was a director of DirecTV.
- Malone holds a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and economics from Yale University, where he was a Phi Beta Kappa and merit scholar. He also holds a master’s degree in industrial management and a Ph.D. in operations research from Johns Hopkins University.
- Malone received the NCTA Vanguard Award in 1983. He has also been the recipient of a number of other awards and honors including: TVC Magazine Man of the Year Award (1981); Wall Street Transcript’s Gold Award for the cable industry’s best CEO (1982, 1985, 1986, 1987); Wall Street Transcript’s Silver Award (1984, 1989); Women In Cable’s Betsy Magness Fellowship Honoree; University of Pennsylvania Wharton School Sol C. Snider Entrepreneurial Center Award of Merit for Distinguished Entrepreneurship; American Jewish Committee Sherrill C. Corwin Human Relations Award; Denver University Honorary Degree for Doctorate of Human Letters (1992); Communications Technology Magazine Service and Technology Award, Bronze Award (1993); Financial World CEO of the Year Competition; and Hopkins Distinguished Alumnus Award (1994).